Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Hello! Shalom! Salaam!


My name is Amy Spitalnick and I'm one of the Senior Interns in the Admissions Office (and apparently the slowest in figuring out this whole blog thing!). I'm from Lynbrook, NY (right outside of the city) but, even as a Yankees fan, I love living in Boston!

Matt, Nate, Katie and I are looking forward to helping you out with your admissions process - we're here to answer any questions that you may have and give you our perspective on life here at Tufts.

As a double major in Political Science and Middle Eastern Studies, with a minor in Communications & Media Studies, I feel as though Tufts has allowed me to translate my in-class experiences in a hands-on, real-life way...

I spent my entire junior year studying abroad in Jerusalem, an experience that can only be described as amazing. Now back on campus as a senior, I serve as President of Tufts Hillel (www.tuftshillel.org) and am involved in a number of interfaith and political dialogue initiatives. In the past, I've been involved in the Tufts Democrats, Friends of Israel, and the Tufts Daily; I have also played the violin in the Tufts Symphony Orchestra and the Klezmer band (of all things!).

I've been lucky enough to work for a number of political campaigns and organizations, including the 2005 NYC mayoral race, a strategic communications firm in Boston, and The Israel Project (a non-profit that educates the media about Israel). I'm now enrolled in a senior Political Science seminar taught by Alan Solomont (a politico and professor so experienced that only a Google search of his name might do him justice). Some of our guest lecturers include Howard Dean, Sandy Berger, Bob Farmer, Simon Rosenberg, Mark Mellman....you get the point. I actually got to give a presentation in front of Governor Dean the other week... I think it's pretty safe to say that Tufts has given me the opportunity to put my academic background to good use!

Please feel free to comment, send us questions, and utilize this blog as a resource in your college search! We're looking forward to hearing from you and hopefully seeing you on campus!

No comments: