Thursday, November 8, 2007

Wendy's Extreme Challenge

One of my favorite (and more ridiculous) freshman year memories was when my friends Katherine and Jessie decided to do the "Wendy's Extreme Challenge," i.e., attempt to eat everything on the Wendy's Super Value Menu in under an hour. It was an epic ordeal, much akin to "The Odyssey," but with more trans fats and triglycerides. Ten of us traveled with them on the subway to cheer them on in their quest for glory.

Here they are in Davis Square in athletic apparel, gearing up to be "Extreme:"

Everything they were required to eat: four double burgers, two salads, four sides, a dessert, a drink, and a partridge in a pear tree. Katherine, to cashier: "I'll have one of everything on the Value Menu...and a Diet Coke."

I still get queasy every time I look at this photo.

The battlefield before and after the siege. Note the stopwatches.


Jessie wasn't able to cross the finish line, but Katherine ate everything in 56 minutes and 38 seconds. And as for me? I have the commemorative t-shirt: "I Was There When Kat & Jessie Did the Wendy's Extreme Challenge."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate that you can't do the dollar menu challenge anymore because they added a bunch of stuff! No one wants to eat Mandarin oranges...

Katie said...

Morgan Spurlock, the director/subject of "Super Size Me," spoke at Tufts when I was a freshman. It was a really funny and engaging lecture...too bad I still love the occasional double cheeseburger.

ElDanielSan said...

This is hysterical, despite my disappointment in Jessie. Pick up the pace, girl!

Unknown said...

I cannot believe you posted about this. Oh Katie...

JustToAmuseYou said...

They may have added a bunch of stuff, but at the same time - it is still possible (without the time limit). I've done it. I survived.

Barely.

Click on my name if you want to check out the video of a friend of mine and I doing the "Wendy's Value Menu Challenge."