Saturday, November 3, 2007

Photos from Talloires, France

Last summer, I studied abroad for 6 weeks in the Haute-Savoie region of France as part of the Tufts-in-Talloires program. Tufts alum Donald MacJannet and his wife, Charlotte, purchased an 11th century Benedictine priory and donated it to Tufts in 1979 for use as a European Center. For more information about the program, you can visit this website: http://ase.tufts.edu/frenchalps.

This is "Le Prieure," or the Priory, where we had our classes:

This is the main stretch of road in Talloires--a tiny village situated on Lake Annecy, the most pristine lake in all of Europe. Talloires reminded me of the opening scene in Disney's "Beauty and the Beast" where Belle sings about her provincial town.

This is a view of the lake and dock immediately behind the Tufts Priory...I'm hardly an outdoorsy nature person, but it was honestly the most beautiful place I've ever been!

Some views of Lake Annecy from Veyrier-du-Lac, the neighboring village where I lived with my host family:

There was a small beach in Talloires; here, Tufts students are pictured on the floating dock:
\
I also lived for a time in Annecy, the closest city to Talloires. Annecy is called the "Venice of France" because of the canals that run through the Old Town, the historic area downtown:

On our next-to-last night in France, Tufts threw a dinner cruise aboard a boat and I snapped this shot of the sun setting over the lake:

I'll post some more photos from France later. Forty to 50% of Tufts juniors opt to study abroad each year; indeed, we have been named Best University for Study Abroad Programs several years in a row!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow! your photos are amazing. i'm definitely interested in studying abroad, so it's great to hear that tufts has such cool options.

Anonymous said...

My biggest mistake in life was not doing junior year abroad. Good for you for going and having an amazing experience. I am a big fan of the French Alps!

-- A 1992 Jumbo