Wednesday, November 28, 2007

I Need Caffeine Just Thinking About My Weekend.

After spending a week at home (i.e., lounging on a sofa and watching cheesy Lifetime Movies for six days on end), I returned to campus to find an avalanche of work and a plethora of extracurricular events. As the semester winds down, student groups rush to schedule their performances and meetings before finals, creating an on-campus atmosphere that is simultaneously hectic yet exciting.

For example, I'm attending a Senior Leadership Committee meeting in the Campus Center tonight. This group is an offshoot of the Senior Class Council which is composed of elected students who work with the Programming Board to plan social events year-round. We'll be discussing tomorrow's November Senior Pub Night, to be held at Hurricane O'Reilly's for the 21+ crowd.

Tomorrow, I'll be at Bendetson, helping to finalize the group of new tour guides by gauging their "mock tour" skills. I have a three hour-long Senior Honors Thesis class and then I'll board a bus for Pub Night. On Friday morning, I'll accompany Matt, one of the other interns, and two other seniors as we drive to a high school and interview applicants on behalf of Undergraduate Admissions. This is part of the Tufts Student Ambassador Program, a pilot initiative. (We'll try not to be too intimidating!)Since I'll be grilling twelfth graders all day, I won't be able to make Friday's inaugural meeting for the Committee on the First Year Experience. Bruce Reitman, the Dean of Student Affairs, and James Ryan, the Coordinator for Programs and Special Projects, will be meeting with a group of students to discuss how the university can improve Freshman Orientation and first year resources. I think it's great that Tufts administrators make an effort to include students in their decisions. We actually have a say in how the university should be run!

Luckily, it's not as though my life consists of meetings. This weekend, I'll be going to "Major: Undecided Refutes Evolution," a sketch comedy show, and the Spirit of Color dance show. Sadly, I won't be able to make it to Torn Ticket II's performance of "Cabaret" or the Tufts Spirit Coalition's Mr. Jumbo Competition. Such are the constraints of a 24-hour day.

College is great because it's all about the things you do in your spare time. Sure, you go to class for about 15 hours a week, but there are endless opportunities to explore beyond the classroom. When pressed to name something she would change about Tufts, Amy tells parents, "There aren't enough hours in the day!" Still, I'd much rather have too many things to do/see/attend than too little. Now about that homework...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Katie,

I stumbled on your blog via Mrs.Google and enjoyed reading this post.

I love your line, "College is great because it's all about the things you do in your spare time."

We help collaborate on a blog for Student Affairs Professionals that might be interesting for your group.

Also on the freshman orientation thing, we've been piloting a new software called Red Rover that integrates freshman orientation into Facebook. Might be something worth checking out for Tufts. Visit the website to learn more.