Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Rock And Roll Is Here To Stay

From an early age, my parents instilled in me a love of music from the 60's and 70's (aka when they attended high school and college). Although I have no recollection of it, apparently the first concert I ever attended was a Paul Simon performance. It occurred in the 1980's, a few years after his Central Park reunion concert with Art Garfunkel.

Bob Dylan's experimental "Nashville Skyline" is one of my mom's all-time favorite albums. Columbia Records released it the year she graduated from high school, and it's been a favorite of mine for years as well. At home, the original album sleeve is framed on our wall alongside Andy Warhol's zipper artwork on The Rolling Stones' "Sticky Fingers."

Ironically, I wound up attending Tufts University, where both Dylan and Simon & Garfunkel performed in the 1960's.

On March 7, 1964, Bob Dylan peformed at Cousens Gym at Tufts. A handbill from the event is pictured below. I've actually seen the same poster on display at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, OH. You'll note that tickets cost $2.50 to $3.00!Pictured below are the front and back covers of a Simon and Garfunkel album. The duo performed at Tufts in 1967, and their live recording is now considered a rarity. Bootlegged songs from the recording are widely available online.

No comments: