Monday, February 18, 2008

It's A Small World After All

My Op-Ed, published in The Tufts Daily today:
Remembering Japanese internment will help stop future prejudice

Back in August, I began writing an American Studies Senior Honors Thesis on the importance of multicultural children's literature. Since then, it's shifted focus to the representation of the Japanese American internment experience in illustrated children's books--a publishing trend that has emerged only within the past 20 years.

So, two weeks ago, in the midst of drafting 100 pages, I'm elbow-deep in highlighters and history books when I pick up the Tufts Daily and notice an ad for an upcoming event. Amy Lee-Tai, who graduated with a degree in Psychology from Tufts in 1989, is coming to campus to speak in honor of the National Day of Remembrance of Japanese American Internment. Her mother and grandparents were interned at the Topaz War Relocation Center in Utah. Two years ago, she wrote a fictional multilingual children's book, "A Place Where Sunflowers Grow," based on their experience.I contacted Linell Yugawa, the Director of the Asian American Center at Tufts, and she forwarded me Ms. Lee-Tai's contact information. We've since corresponded, and, not only will I attend her presentation and honorary dinner tomorrow, but I'll definitely include her work in my thesis!

When I began my thesis, I had no idea that my research topic correlated with the creative output of a recent Tufts grad. And that's another reason why I love this school: you're always discovering that you share obscure academic and personal interests with others. Random alumni connections and networking can aid you in ways you never thought possible.

No comments: